Saturday, June 16, 2007

Feeling Blessed and Humbled

As you probably know (or you wouldn't be reading this), I'm the proprietor of the online game WEBoggle. My name is Evan Simpson, and I live in Waco, TX with my wife and four children. Several of the many fine folks who donated during the June 15, 2007 Pledge Drive said that they liked learning more about my background, and one person suggested that I start blogging. This struck me as a good idea, if for no other reason that I can use this blog to tell you all what's happening behind the scenes of the game, and to put up emergency status bulletins if something is going wrong with the server.

First I'm going to repeat here, for posterity, what I added to the Pledge Drive page in its ninth hour:
Wow. I don't have the words. I am humbled by the outpouring (yes, that's the word for it) of support and encouragement. "You all rock" doesn't begin to express how my family and I feel. This morning I just thought that maybe, over the next two weeks, enough people would be willing to send us a few dollars that we could squeak through the end of the month. It has been only nine hours, and the crisis is over. I've spent an hour writing brief thank-you's in reply to PayPal notifications, and I'm not done. If I haven't gotten to you yet, rest assured that I will. The Pledge Drive is officially downgraded from Category "Please Help!" to Category "If you haven't donated before and you enjoy WEBoggle, please do." This weekend I'm going to take a hard look at what I can do here to show my appreciation. And I hope, when I get to the next phase of my life as a lawyer, to be able to pay forward all the generosity that you've shown me.

That said, I'll tell you a bit more about the history and people behind the game. It was created by Logan Ingalls, who wrote the original Perl server and JavaScript client. I was an avid player and also a web programmer, so in mid-2004 when Logan was unable to keep the game running any more, I volunteered to host it on one of my servers. Over the next few months, I rewrote the server in Python, added the 5x5 board, started tinkering with the word list, and added board customization.

In February 2005, I started studying at Baylor Law. Naturally, the game became so popular not much later that the server began to choke on a routine basis. For the next half-year, I tinkered and tweaked. My final news entry was in October of 2005. After that, it was all I could do to keep the game bumping along in my spare time. It needed some serious re-coding, and that went very slowly. I'm not efficient when I write code in scattered hour-long bursts.

Meanwhile, my wife Penney launched Beatnix Coffee House. It has been a huge success, gathering a loyal clientèle and a fantastic group of creative people who run poetry nights, open mic music nights, comedy nights, and art shows. But it isn't yet profitable enough for Penney to pay herself for all her work. Yes, we are nuts: we started a small business at the same time I took a huge pay cut to start school.

Fast forward to June 2007: I am in my final quarter at Baylor. Practice Court (the part of the curriculum that makes Baylor the "boot camp of law schools") is 3/4 done. Next month, I will graduate and take the Texas Bar Exam. I don't yet have a job lined up, and the student loans are about to run out. In particular, thanks to some bad loan disbursement timing, we can't figure out how to pay the bills for the rest of June. My family and Penney's have both chipped in, both financially and to help us with the kids, but they don't have any more to give. And I still need to pay for bar prep materials, or I fear that I won't be able to do my part to uphold Baylor's bar passage rate (100% this February!)

The rest is Pledge Drive history. Over 125 players donated, in less than two days. Now we can put gas in the car, pay the bills, and I can get my study materials. Before this I knew that "lots" of players visit regularly, and the mini-floods of email I would get when there were server problems told me how dedicated (or in the words of many, addicted) many players are. But I never imagined that there were over a hundred great-hearted, loving people playing this game, ready to help out as soon as they saw the pledge link even though the game itself was never at risk. Now I know. I feel blessed and humbled.

I'll take the pledge link down Sunday evening. Someone has suggested that I put it up once a month, just to nudge new players. I may do that. For now, I need to find a way to honor everyone who has already given. Several things are in the works, including a pledge thanks page. I'll let you know more as it happens.

Here are some snapshots for the curious:
Me and My Family

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with all your endeavors and thanks for the hundred of wasted hours I've spent totally enjoying myself boggling when I should have been doing something productive.

LibraryLadyNJ akaa Nancy Janow

Anonymous said...

Evan... great going on graduating law school. I admire you! I wanted to be a lawyer for about 5 minutes a few years ago. I'm now in school studying for my BSN (nursing). One of my favorite game names for myself is "neglecting homework". One of my instructors asked the class what we do for much needed "downtime" and I said, WEBOGGLE!

Yes! I like the idea of a once a month pledge drive. The months go by so fast and I would like to donate when I can.

Beth Donovan said...

As many hours as I have spent boggling on WebBoggle, the least I could do was throw a little cash your way! I've been entertained by this for years, now.

It's hard to stop when I'm in the groove!



SWWBO

Evan Simpson said...

Hearing from people who play and how much they love it - that's the best part of running WEBoggle.

Nancy, was that was you trying to friend my MySpace page yesterday? I'm new to MySpace, and I automatically refuse any friend requests from people I don't know.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've begun a blog! I'm very impressed with all that you and your wife have accomplished in the last few years.

I have enjoyed Weboggle so much (too much in the wee hours when I should be asleep). My kids stand over my shoulder and suggest words that I didn't even think they knew how to spell. I agree with a once a month pledge drive! This is one "free" site I have no problem throwing some money towards. Glad you can make it through the month now.

Keep up the hard work with school and all the other things in life. Great job.

Take A Nap aka Becca

*Donna* Maspeth, NY said...

Evan, much luck to you and your family. You provide us BOGGLERS with a great service. I don't no what I would do without WEBOGGLE!

BOGGLE on!

*Donna*

Anonymous said...

I have been playing sporadically, hours per day when I do, since March of 2005. A high point of my week, some weeks back, was coming in #1 with 100-some players . . . including the ever-popular and often-winning gaschmooka. I am not that good, but it IS fun. My ex-husband went to SMU Law School and took the Texas bar some years back . . . so I know you've yet more fun coming this summer. Congratulations and good luck!

Me2 (sometimes Me3) aka Kathy Emory

Anonymous said...

Evan,
My husband and I have enjoyed your game for over a year now, since my wonderful step-son introduced us to it. I do have a suggestion... since there are two games going on at once, why not have one game for single players and the other for teams only?

Anonymous said...

Heh, I've donated a couple of times before, but this past week I've actually been working instead of playing Weboggle, and I didn't know you were having a pledge drive. I'll throw some more in the pot. Thanks for all your work!
Susan aka dontfeartheboggler

Anonymous said...

PS I just got a Myspace page myself, and added you as a friend.

Susan aka dontfeartheboggler

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. "lawerly" => "lawyerly". Love the game, appreciate the work you have done on it. --Boofer

Evan Simpson said...

Oops! Typo fixed, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the work, Evan. If you ever need a friend inside Google, you have one :-)

I was glad to contribute something.

- randomg....

(aka "Noogler", who sometimes wins, but always enjoys.)

Anonymous said...

Evan,

Rock on and best of luck with your school. My niece is attending Baylor in the fall. Growing up in Waco shows how small our world really is. I have yet to make it to the coffee house but I will. After all I own tele with a mesa boggie.

Thank you again!

Richard - jake cat

Evan Simpson said...

randomg: A friend inside Google is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I always say! Well, I said it this once, anyhow. Hey, you just inspired me to wonder whether I could make an iGoogle Gadget for WEBoggle. Hmm.

Richard: The world is indeed a bafflingly small place, at times. Perhaps I may see you at poetry night sometime! By the way, my translation unit appears to have temporarily gone on the fritz right after the words "After all I own" in your post. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, just picked up the game a couple weeks ago, and honestly, couldn't be happier with the program. I'm most happy with commitment to running a quality game with the lack of ads that really makes the experience enjoyable. I wish I could have given money for your pledge drive, but I'm still in college myself and way behind the eight ball as far as money is concerned.

But all in all, thank you very much, and hopefully sometime I'll be able to appropriately thank you for all your hard work and dedication to a game that causes me to stay up way too late, punt* problem sets, and put off things like eating. Best of luck on the Bar and in the law field.

-Baxter

* punt: failure to turn in an assignment - used at my school (MIT) quite frequently