Sunday, June 24, 2007

Snail Mail and Development Priorities

Although I have nothing profound (or even visible) to present to you, I want to keep you up on what's going on in my head. Also, donations by US mail began to arrive last Wednesday; Several people sent cards and/or wrote nice letters to me. If you mailed anything to me, please also send me an email with your real name and city so I can match up email addresses with letters. I need email addresses of donors so I can create accounts for you all when I roll out "Deluxe WEBoggle"; I have them already for all PayPal donors.

My first priority is a set of client-server changes that I've had in mind for quite a while. I've already written a new server, but the client-side is lacking because I was trying to combine the new functional code with a complete re-design of the site. Now, I'm going to back off on the re-design and simply adapt the current client code to work with the new server. This change should allow me to eliminate the "separate arenas" hack that is currently and arbitrarily dividing up players, yet still support several hundred players with ease. It should also completely eliminate "Too Late" words and other Internet bugaboos; Under the new plan, every word you guess within the time limit will be scored, and the only effect of Internet lag (or even complete loss of connection!) should be that other players might not see your full score and all your guesses.

The new code will also pave the way for "Deluxe" features. These will include the ability to "ban" other players (really just hiding them from you), play "private" games (only see players who have typed in the same game name), customize the scoring rules, and keep play statistics. I plan to make these features available to anyone who donates (or already has) by automatically creating "Deluxe WEBoggle" accounts. There will be lifetime accounts for those who have donated truly staggering amounts, yearly accounts for substantial donations, and some other kind for all other donors. The obvious "other kind" is monthly, but I don't feel completely comfortable with requiring monthly donations to keep an account alive. Any suggestions?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds very exciting. I look forward to deluxe weboggle with great anticipation. I doubt my boss does. :D

Anonymous said...

I would leave it as a yearly and lifetime membership. Set rates that you think are fair, and that'll be that. People who want to play deluxe will fork up the money, people who don't, won't and that's ok too.

All the best,
Bax

Darin said...

I've been off Weboggle for a couple of months now (due to out of country and internet access issues) and have returned to visit my favorite game today. I am glad you held a pledge drive and am sorry to have missed it.

I don't think designating rates would be a bad thing. I'm with Baxter on that one.

Thank you for all the hard work, and I'll get over to Paypal as soon as my next paycheck comes in.

-darin

Evan Simpson said...

Thanks for the comments, folks. To clarify, you're saying that I should make Deluxe accounts fee-based - just go ahead and say "$X for a year, $Y for life", right? I suspect that I'm being unduly queasy about coming right out with "want more? pay me", since free play is so central to this game.

Anonymous said...

I see where you're coming from. I really enjoy that there's something truly free here -- with no ads jumping in my face or fees or requirement of personal data. I would continue to keep the base game free.

What about partial benefits for small donations? Don't know what those would be, but it's a thought. I don't see any problem with a required amount for a yearly 'deluxe package'.

Too bad we can't track our own scores somehow. That would be an awesome deluxe feature.

Unknown said...

I am also all for membership fees. Maybe you could have some "scholarship" accounts for people who ask. We send our book to people who email and tell us they believe it would help them but they can't afford it...in five years only about a dozen requests. And thanks for all the work breaks and stress relief you have given us.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Those who want DELUXE WEBoggle (like me) will be willing to pay the yearly fee. Heck, I give POGO about $40. per year. I sure would pay you as well. Those who want free should still be able to get the basic game.

Thanks for the easy, no-ads game!

Always your FAN,
The Necklace Lady
aka (neglecting homework)

Kristen said...

Does the Deluxe version keep payers in separate games from those that are playing for free? Will there be segregation of the haves and have-nots of the world? I'm a regular (boggaboggabogga), and I'm pretty good at the game. But, I don't make a lot of money and am saving for my retirement as a single person with no children. As the Internet becomes more accessible to the world, I don't think segregating players from the first world from the rest is wonderful. Free boggle is one of those few free things in life left. Hooray for the commons!

Anonymous said...

Evan,
I, too, am a struggling student. I am preparing to student teach in the fall (High School English...YIKES!), and I am a HUGE fan of the game. When I start teaching, I plan on encouraging my students to visit your site to help them with their vocabulary! I missed the pledge drive, but would be happy to donate what I can. Your site has given me hours of fun...when I should have been studying! Katina Jones (A fellow Texan)

Anonymous said...

I would pay for Weboggle in a heartbeat!
I agree with Baxter regarding the rates, and I agree with you, Evan, that free play is so central to this game. I feel that making the deluxe features available for a fee is more than fair, while leaving the basic features free.
Don't feel bad about the "want more, pay me" thing - You put a lot of work into Weboggle, and hosting is not free.
That being said, let me say that Weboggle is truly one of the best, most addicting games on the Internet, and I will surely be one of your subscribers!!
Thanks, Evan, for all you do.

Anonymous said...

I will be happy to pay for Weboggle or Deluxe - this game is addictive and I just love it - I'm so sad when I encounter glitches & it isn't running well. I am happy to PAY so you have the resources necessary to keep it running in good order.

Baskitwevr, Basketcase

Anonymous said...

As a newcomer to the site and yet to become familiar with it, I would just say that I would always be happy to pay to play on a site that I enjoy. I think the idea of two hours of free play at the deluxe level is a good one as I would always like to know what I am paying for. I have bookmarked this site and will play and discover!