Sunday, January 20, 2008

Painfully Slow, But Progress Nonetheless

I just put up a revision that works (for me) on Firefox 2, IE 7, and Safari 3. This includes game board resizing, prior round score formatting, additional code to try to diagnose the funky problems some people are having with server communication, and minor new options.

One new option is themes, under the "Play" customization menu. These are basically color schemes, at the moment, though one of them is an attempt at a more bare-bones look for those who find the new interface too "busy". Another is guess feedback, under the "Status /guess input" customization menu. Here, you can choose whether to get feedback on the words you guess, and where.

If you don't see the text insertion point (the blinking vertical bar) in the input box, don't panic! Try typing a letter of your guess anyway - it should work, and the insertion point should re-appear.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to work much better now in Firefox 2.0. Thanks.

judijudijudi said...

I keep coming back, hoping I can join, but I'm still out in the cold. I'm on a mac (0s 10.4) using safari 3.0.4 and firefox 2.0.0.11. I'm anxious to play....

Anonymous said...

I still have a 4x3 board. Running Fedora Core 8 and Firefox 2.0.0.10. Otherwise, it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Evan. With the newest permutation, the game keeps kicking me off at the end of each round, and I have to start at the home page of the old game system and click all the way back past the old game, into the new one via the link on the old game page, and then again into the 4X4 (or whatever) game. Can this be fixed?

Anonymous said...

I also am using a mac, works in firefox but not in safari.

Anonymous said...

One of my friends is unable to see the leaderboard, It just comes up blank. Their using Firefox 2.0. Although I doubt that is very helpful.

IntrplnetSarah said...

Like judijudijudi, I keep hoping that this time it will work, but I also have nothing, just a blank screen that says "contacting server" forever. On a Mac (OS 10.4.11) using Safari 3.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.11 Please keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Like IntrplnetSarah, I keep trying, but I'm still getting the interminable "contacting server" message. Difference is, I get the same thing on both IE6, IE7, and Firefox. Supposedly, it works on those browsers, but I simply can't convince any of my browsers or any of my computers of this supposed fact.

I feel... left out. Like in junior high. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. :(

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just tried something: I logged in as someone else, and IT WORKS! Apparently, the problem isn't with the game interface, but with my friggin login account! Gah!!!

That's annoying, to say the least.

Anonymous said...

is there a place to report bugs?

The "Guesses" box behaves erratically when "show wrong guesses" is turned off

Anonymous said...

Ok, now that I've finally had a chance to play with the new beta, I must say, it's terrible. I need *at* *least* three columns - two simply doesn't cut it; the players list shouldn't scroll; the game board is friggin' HUGE... I could go on.

Also, DON'T STEAL MY FOCUS. (There, it just did it again.) Basically, if the game is open, I can't minimize it and go do something else, because every so often, it pops up on top of everything and steals my cursor.