Sunday, October 14, 2007

News that isn't

As you have surely noticed already if you are a WEBoggle fan, I started another pledge drive and used it to announce the beta of the new version of the game. As with the last pledge drive, many of you have stepped up to support me and the game, including quite a few of you who startled me with your generosity last time.

Lots of you have been banging on the beta and giving me great feedback. Several nasty teething issues have been discovered and dealt with - the scoring bug in IE is dead! Note to myself and to other JavaScript programmers: beware of subscripting strings using "x[i]" notation - IE chokes on it, and prefers "x.charAt(i)", despite all the other browsers dealing with it just fine.

One show-stopper bug remains: I have multiple reports of the game taking Safari down hard. Once I've dealt with that, I can move on to the great suggestions I've received, such as preference options for "Classic" interface mode and large fonts mode. I'll have guessed words go into the list in reverse order (most recent guess at the start of the list) and include invalid guesses in the list (along with the reason for invalidity). I'll improve the interface. I'll add an account page for changing email/password, managing sub-accounts, and Deluxe game settings.

Then I'll be ready to take it out of beta and really get going on Deluxe features, including better and more flexible game board customization, more options such as allowing invalid words to be typed, audible round-end alerts, alternate scoring rules, "private" games, and more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Beta version just crashed Safari v2.0.4 (OS X 10.4.10) on my first try there.

BTW, I'll be glad to donate, but I just want to let you know that your "Pledge Drive Time Again!" blurb and link located just beneath the "Time left" counter is extremely distracting, both visually and functionally. Do you think you could move it, or at least insert a few blank lines between the time remaining and the pledge pitch?

Thanks much, Evan!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I've just tried to try the Beta version with both firefox and safari and couldn't load with either of them.

Please don't give up on the "classic" version! I love it! (Just paypal'ed my donation.) Thanks, Evan.

Unknown said...

I can't get the login to work using Firefox. Every time I enter my email and password, I get "activation failed" on the webpage and a popup warning that says "the webpage [url] says 1."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for moving the Pledge text lower. Helps a lot!

bookwoman said...

Dear Evan,
I love the game and am ready to donate for a year, but I want to mail payment and have no luck sending you a message. (My email is Yahoo.com, if that helps.) I can't hook up to wordsplay at all--it seems jammed. Would like to try beta version and comment. I hope it allows those of us with more than a few years under our belts to increase the size of the type and make the box more prominent compared to the score tally and list of your own words. It's crowded on that screen! Finally, I would like to know all those who play as teams. But more than anything, I want to thank you for the (too) many hours of enjoyment weboggle has given me. I love it.

Unknown said...

I've played the Beta since a few hours after it was posted, but with IE 6 it won't load today. (I don't have any other browser to test it with, though, so it may or may not work with others.) The status bar at the bottom of the Window "flashes" the address www.wordsplay.net/w8/loading/html several times a second at first (interspersed with "Done" so fast you can only see it if you're really looking for it), then a bit slower, but it never actually loads. I have to agree with bookwoman. I too "...want to thank you for the (too) many hours of enjoyment weboggle has given me. I love it."
Thanks for all your efforts.

Luminosity said...

Congratulations on whizzing through the pre-tests for the bar. :)

I've been playing your game for several years, and I love it. This morning, however, I'm unable to log in at all on the beta site--error msg says that it can't send password to that site. hmmm.. I guess I'll have to buckle down and actually go to work now. :) Oh yeah! I'm using Seamonkey, which is Firefox with a thyroid condition, I guess.

Evan Simpson said...

bookwoman: Blogger seems to have redacted your email address. Please try to send email to me at "weboggle at shackworks.com" (replacing the " at " with an "@", of course). I plan to have a "large fonts" option in the new version, along with other interface tweaks.

Cosmo said...

hi